The world’s biggest and most prestigious bartender competition is coming to Berlin in October – could you be our next World Class Bartender of the Year? If you are based in Europe, read on for details of how to enter.
World Class exists to inspire people to care about what, where and how they drink, through pushing boundaries and elevating and celebrating the craft of bartending.
Every year, we host the world’s biggest and most prestigious bartender competition to find the next World Class Bartender of the Year – and entries are now open for those who want a shot at the 2018 title.
This year, we’re inviting you into the world of culinary skills and sustainability. To enter, we’ll be challenging you to create a closed loop cocktail and submit your recipe.
You’ll be asked to experiment and push the boundaries to create an outstanding drink by applying the ingredients and techniques a chef would use to create flavours. Aside from taste and technique, you’ll also need to be mindful of how you can minimise waste/use of resources and be more sustainable in your craft.
You must use at least one World Class brand as your base spirit, with a minimum 30ml measure. Other than that, you have the freedom to be as creative as you want.
The winner of the competition will win a prize package valued at more than €15,000 and the coveted title of the World Class Bartender of the Year. This includes:
• a 12-month contract to tour with the World Class team hosting workshops and bartending at high-profile and prestigious events
• an exclusive two-day culinary training experience with a famous chef at the Ketel One Distillery in Schiedam in the Netherlands
• a two-day intensive Malts Advocate Course in Scotland with whisky gurus Dave Broom or Charles MacLean
• a chance to be part of the World Class Bartender Exchange, which means travelling to three European countries to guest bartend behind some of the World’s Best Bars
• a £300 voucher for a high-quality bartender kit from Cocktail Kingdom
• a flight to Berlin for the once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to represent your country in the World Class Global Finals 2018.
Remember, by getting involved with the competition you also have our revolutionary training to look forward to. The World Class Studios will focus on two topics, providing new information and techniques to help further you as a bartender.
Heat of the Moment will look at the science of the culinary world to better understand their profession and the flavours they create, and how we can transfer the understanding of flavour into the world of bartending. The Resourceful Bartender, meanwhile, delves into the resourcefulness of bars, covering how we can be more efficient with resource to create a better bar, a better business and a better working environment.
Entry opens for European Bartenders on 15 February 2018 and closes on the 30 March 2018. Unfortunately, we cannot accept submissions after that date.
Learn more about the two World Class studio topics and Diageo Reserve brands available to use here.
Watch the video below for more information on your first challenge, then click here to submit your entry.
NOTE: At submission, the entry form requests you select two favourite trends, please select The Resourceful Bartender in Option 1 and Heat of the Moment in Option 2.
We look forward to welcoming you to the World Class Family!